fonts: ae and cmex, and PcTeX on a network client

PCTeX v6 beta tester input and discussion

Moderator: PTIForAdmin

wms

fonts: ae and cmex, and PcTeX on a network client

Post by wms »

Hi,

several issues came up within the first 3 minutes of typesetting a large existing document:

(1) ae fonts were installed but the DVI viewer couldn't find the corresponding TFM files. It complained about a broken or missing aer10.tfm etc... I uninstalled ae from Tools/Packages... and reinstalled them again from there. Thereafter the tfm files were recognised and the DVI viewer used them.

(2) After typesetting again I got the error message "No font mapping entry for font: cmex9". I tried to play the same trick as above for the cmextra packaged but to no avail.

(3) My machine is attached to the network and the My Documents folder is mounted from some server. I suspect that this causes the following error message (where Server is our server and User.Name is my username)

warning: \\Server\User.Name$\cached\My Documents: Unrecognized variable construct `$\'.

(4) after this I tentatively clicked the PS button and got the probably related ghostscript error message

Error: /undefined in er
Operand stack:

Execution stack:
%interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
--dict:1052/1123(ro)(G)-- --dict:0/20(G)-- --dict:69/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: No such file or directory
GPL Ghostscript 8.01: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
Operand stack:

Execution stack:
%interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
--dict:1052/1123(ro)(G)-- --dict:0/20(G)-- --dict:69/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: No such file or directory
GPL Ghostscript 8.01: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

Regards,
Martin
PTIForAdmin

Re: fonts: ae and cmex, and PcTeX on a network client

Post by PTIForAdmin »

wms wrote: (1) ae fonts were installed but the DVI viewer couldn't find the corresponding TFM files. It complained about a broken or missing aer10.tfm etc... I uninstalled ae from Tools/Packages... and reinstalled them again from there. Thereafter the tfm files were recognised and the DVI viewer used them.
There is a known problem with newly-installed fonts not being recognized. Usually, closing PCTeX and starting again will clear this. It's on the bug list and will be resolved before the release.
(2) After typesetting again I got the error message "No font mapping entry for font: cmex9". I tried to play the same trick as above for the cmextra packaged but to no avail.
This may be related to (1).
(3) My machine is attached to the network and the My Documents folder is mounted from some server. I suspect that this causes the following error message (where Server is our server and User.Name is my username)

warning: \\Server\User.Name$\cached\My Documents: Unrecognized variable construct `$\'.
Will look into this.
(4) after this I tentatively clicked the PS button and got the probably related ghostscript error message

Operand stack:

Execution stack:
%interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval--
No PS file was made and GS was launched. We'll fix this.

Thanks for the input.