PCTeX Talk Forum Index PCTeX Talk
Discussions on TeX, LaTeX, fonts, and typesetting
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Y&Y and MiKTeX installation of MTPro

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    PCTeX Talk Forum Index -> MathTime Pro II Beta
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jautschbach



Joined: 17 Mar 2006
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Y&Y and MiKTeX installation of MTPro Reply with quote

I just downloaded mtpro2 and tested it with MiKTeX and YandY TeX.
Below is a description of my installation procedure and some
comments. I use WindoXP Pro SP2, Y&Y TeX 2.2.4, DVIWindo 2.2.8,
MikTeX 2.4.1461

<localtexmf> for MiKTeX is E:\localtexmf on my system. I also
keep all additional and modified files for YandY TeX there for
easier maintenance of both systems.

I unpacked the mtpro2 ZIP file in <localtexmf>.

A) MikTeX installation:
-----------------------

1. edited <localtexmf>/miktex/config/updmap.cfg: added the line
Map mtpro2.map
in the "Map files" section.

2. ran
initexmf --update-fndb
initexmf --mkmaps

3. compiled a 50-page document with about 250 equations with
MiKTeX using

\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{times}
\usepackage[subscriptcorrection,slantedGreek,nofontinfo,boldalphabet]{mtpro2}
\usepackage{bm}

and a number of other packages.

Received an error:

! LaTeX Error: Command \Bbbk already defined.
Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.

See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation. Type H
<return> for immediate help.
...

l.1512 \newcommand{\Bbbk}{\mathbb{k}}

After commenting out \usepackage{amssymb} the document compiled
without errors. Yap created the PK fonts properly and displayed the
DVI. pdflatex worked. dvips worked. Some Math symbols were missing, see below under B.5.

B) Y&Y installation:
--------------------

1. Same as step A.1

2. edited dviwindo.ini (in C:\windows):

- added
E:\localtexmf\fonts\\
to the definition of the variable TEXNANSI

- added
E:\localtexmf\tex\latex\\
to the definition of the variable LATEX

3. Installed the fonts. In contrast to instructions that I have seen elsewhere, on my system it is necessary to install the fonts by opening
c:\windows\fonts in an explorer window and choosing File ->
Install New Font ... Needless to say that this should be done while
being logged on as a system administrator.
If I just copy the pfm and pfb files to c:\windows\fonts
DVIWindo is not able to use them and it is difficult to uninstall
the fonts. I had the same issues when I installed Y&Y TeX.

- copied <localtexmf>/fonts/type1/pctex/mtpro2/*.pfb to c:\temp
- copied <localtexmf>/fonts/pfm/pctex/mtpro2/*.pfm to c:\temp
- rebooted the system (otherwise, strange things can happen. Today,
I was not able to install the fonts without the reboot because
WINDOWS insisted that the files were in use. Must be some file-
indexing process or something similar.)
- Opened an Explorer window, went to c:\windows\fonts, chose menu
item
File -> Install New Font ...,
chose c:\temp as the location, selected all fonts,
selected "Copy Fonts to Font Folder", clicked OK.

4. Compiled the same file as under A.3 with Y&Y latex. The text font
that showed up in the DVI file was computer modern. I had to add
\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
before loading the times and mtpro2 packages.
Then I got same result as with MiKTeX. Using LY1 encoding works fine
with MiKTeX, too, so I can use the same latex files with both Y&Y and
MiKTeX. DVIPSONE worked fine.

5. Differences, warnings, etc.

- I use the commands

\newcommand{\mat}[1]{\bm{\mathsf{#1}}}
\newcommand{\matomega}{\mat{\Omega}}

in the document. This dates back to the old days when I was still using CM in order
to typeset all matrices in boldface sans serif CM. With Y&Y MathTime as well
as MTPro (MiKTeX) I get a boldface Omega. from \matomega. With MTProII, I don't get
anything if I use the "slantedGreek" option. The log file shows warnings such as

! Missing character: There is no
(10) in font hvb!
\bm@mchoice ...}}{\hbox {#1$\scriptstyle \m@th #4$
}}{\hbox {#1$\scriptscript...
tddft.tex(1410) : ~~~~}

If I don't use "slantedGreek" I don't get the warnings but I get quotation
marks instead of a boldface Omega.

- This was already noted by someone else, I believe: Without using
the subscriptcorrection option for MTProII (also MTPro), the spacing between
a character and following sub/superscripts seems to be excessively large.

Jochen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WaS



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 27
Location: Erlangen, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Y&Y and MiKTeX installation of MTPro Reply with quote

jautschbach wrote:
4. Compiled the same file as under A.3 with Y&Y latex. The text font
that showed up in the DVI file was computer modern. I had to add
\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
before loading the times and mtpro2 packages.
Then I got same result as with MiKTeX. Using LY1 encoding works fine
with MiKTeX, too, so I can use the same latex files with both Y&Y and
MiKTeX. DVIPSONE worked fine.

That's exactly what I wanted to achieve by providing LY1 support!

jautschbach wrote:
5. Differences, warnings, etc.

- I use the commands

\newcommand{\mat}[1]{\bm{\mathsf{#1}}}
\newcommand{\matomega}{\mat{\Omega}}

in the document. This dates back to the old days when I was still using CM in order
to typeset all matrices in boldface sans serif CM. With Y&Y MathTime as well
as MTPro (MiKTeX) I get a boldface Omega. from \matomega. With MTProII, I don't get
anything if I use the "slantedGreek" option. The log file shows warnings such as
! Missing character: [...]
If I don't use "slantedGreek" I don't get the warnings but I get quotation
marks instead of a boldface Omega.


I can't reproduce that. Without the slantedGreek option I get an upright bold
Omega; with the option, I get a slanted bold Omega; in both cases it's from
MathTime, rather than sansserif. The difference to your result may be due to a different
version of bm.sty, but this does not matter, since you code cannot work with MTPro,
anyway. This holds both for the current release and for MTPro II. Rationale:

\mathsf points to a text font, so your code assumes that the Greek letters are
taken from a text font; this holds, however, for the weird encoding of the CM fonts
only. Your code would equally fail with many other alterative math fonts.

The default math setup of LaTeX, which takes into acount the strange encoding
of the CM fonts, makes it very hard to support alternative text and/or math fonts.
However, but if we change the font encoding and the corresponding declarations
so that text and math fonts are clearly separated, legacy code (such as above)
won't work any longer. Sad, but true.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jautschbach



Joined: 17 Mar 2006
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Y&Y and MiKTeX installation of MTPro Reply with quote

WaS wrote:
The difference to your result may be due to a different
version of bm.sty, but this does not matter, since you code cannot work with MTPro,
anyway. This holds both for the current release and for MTPro II. Rationale:

\mathsf points to a text font, so your code assumes that the Greek letters are
taken from a text font; this holds, however, for the weird encoding of the CM fonts
only. Your code would equally fail with many other alterative math fonts.

The default math setup of LaTeX, which takes into acount the strange encoding
of the CM fonts, makes it very hard to support alternative text and/or math fonts.
However, but if we change the font encoding and the corresponding declarations
so that text and math fonts are clearly separated, legacy code (such as above)
won't work any longer. Sad, but true.


I didn't really expect this to work anyway. Nonetheless I thought I should share the information since I am beta-testing the package. Overall I'm very pleased with the mtpro2 package. The installation was really easy both for Y&Y and for MiKTeX. I tried a few more documents without noticing further problems.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    PCTeX Talk Forum Index -> MathTime Pro II Beta All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group