no pfm's ==> cannot install mtp2 fonts for Y&Y

For feedback and discussion for testers of the MathTime Professional II fonts.

Moderators: PTIForAdmin, WaS, Michael Spivak

murray

no pfm's ==> cannot install mtp2 fonts for Y&Y

Post by murray »

Y&Y TeX expects to find fonts in my usual Type 1 font repository. Since I use Adobe Type Manager Deluxe, I need to add a set for these fonts and then activate them. But to use ATM to recognize and install fonts under its control, I need to select the pfm's. There were none provided with this distribution!

I'm stymied.

Note that copying the pfb's directly into my fonts directory is unacceptable: The whole point of using ATM is so I can swap in sets of fonts and swap others out as needed for a project. Otherwise if, say, I'm trying to select a font in a Word document, I have to go through hundreds of different fonts, including totally irrelevant TeX fonts.
Michael Spivak

Re: no pfm's ==> cannot install mtp2 fonts for Y&Y

Post by Michael Spivak »

murray wrote:Y&Y TeX expects to find fonts in my usual Type 1 font repository. Since I use Adobe Type Manager Deluxe, I need to add a set for these fonts and then activate them. But to use ATM to recognize and install fonts under its control, I need to select the pfm's. There were none provided with this distribution!
OK, I'll have to make pfm's. I figured that for Y&Y I'd just wait until testers asked for what they need---I gave up trying to deal with the weirdness of Y&Y years ago.
murray

no "weirdness of Y&Y" involved!

Post by murray »

As the subject says, the difficulty I have has nothing to do with the weirdness of Y&Y TeX per se. Rather, it wants to find Type 1 fonts in the usual place where all such are found. But I'm controlling fonts via Adobe Type Manager Deluxe -- and that is what requires the pfm's.

I did try to create the pfm's by using two of the font utilities distributed with Y&Y, namely, tfmtoafm.exe and afmtopfm.exe. However, tfmtoafm.exe gave a number of error messages when I tried to use it; it needs parameters to whose values for these fonts I have not a clue.

But I persisted through attempted creation of the pfm's. And I got Adobe Type Manager to install most of these (even though I don't know whether the pfm's are really in correct format).

However, ATM would NOT install any of MTBMST, MTBSYAF, MTBSYAS, MTHSYAF, MTHSYAS, and MTHSYAT -- it says "the font file is invalid".

Murray
Michael Spivak

Re: no "weirdness of Y&Y" involved!

Post by Michael Spivak »

murray wrote: However, ATM would NOT install any of MTBMST, MTBSYAF, MTBSYAS, MTHSYAF, MTHSYAS, and MTHSYAT -- it says "the font file is invalid".
Murray
I presume you meant MT2BMST, MT2BSYAF, etc., since those are the fonts in MTproTwo. (?)

If you give me an email address I will send you an MT2BMST.pfm to check that it's OK, before making all the other pfm's.
PTIForAdmin

Emailing forum members

Post by PTIForAdmin »

Michael Spivak wrote:
If you give me an email address I will send you an MT2BMST.pfm to check that it's OK, before making all the other pfm's.
You may email other forum members by using the email button at the bottom of the message, or by using the Memberlist or Usergroups links at the top of each page.
murray

Re: no "weirdness of Y&Y" involved!

Post by murray »

Actually, for reasons unknown to me, the batch processing -- all using wildcards of the form mt2*.tfm, mt2*.afm, and mt2.pfm -- that I did to derive afm's from the pfb's, and then convert the afm's to pfm's, left me with the pfm's having anomalous names, shown below, without any "2" in them!

I now have received the pfm's you created and am about to test using them.

quote="Michael Spivak"]
murray wrote: However, ATM would NOT install any of MTBMST, MTBSYAF, MTBSYAS, MTHSYAF, MTHSYAS, and MTHSYAT -- it says "the font file is invalid".
Murray
I presume you meant MT2BMST, MT2BSYAF, etc., since those are the fonts in MTproTwo. (?)

If you give me an email address I will send you an MT2BMST.pfm to check that it's OK, before making all the other pfm's.[/quote]