report successful TeX'ing whole book with mtp2

For feedback and discussion for testers of the MathTime Professional II fonts.

Moderators: PTIForAdmin, WaS, Michael Spivak

murray

report successful TeX'ing whole book with mtp2

Post by murray »

This is just to let you know I successfully TeX'd, with PCTeX 5.1, a book-length manuscript using mtp2. It did take me a couple tries for me to realize that:

1. I had to explictly specify use of Times for text in place of the default cm. (With Y&Y, I was accustomed to that happening automatically.) Shouldn't that really be the default? After all, the whole point -- I thought -- of having the MathTime fonts for math was to provide math fonts harmonious with Times text fonts!

2. I had to specify some option in the \usepackage[...]{mtpro2} in order to activate \mathbb. This was not obvious to me at first, as I took the descriptions of the options for \mathbb to mean simply what to change to in place of some default.

Should there be a default not requiring an option explicitly? Note that there IS a corresponding default for \mathcal!

3. Unlike the situation formerly with the old MathTime fonts and Y&Y TeX, I no longer needed to use Adobe's MathPi fonts (MathPi 6 and/or 2, as I recall) in order to get the desired math script and mathbbb fonts.

Additional question: Should the default for \mathcal really be the Euler Calligraphic fonts? I'm not trying to assert here that something else should be, but asking why that was the design choice.
WaS

Re: report successful TeX'ing whole book with mtp2

Post by WaS »

murray wrote:This is just to let you know I successfully TeX'd, with PCTeX 5.1, a book-length manuscript using mtp2.
I'm glad to hear this!
murray wrote: 1. I had to explictly specify use of Times for text in place of the default cm. (With Y&Y, I was accustomed to that happening automatically.) Shouldn't that really be the default? After all, the whole point -- I thought -- of having the MathTime fonts for math was to provide math fonts harmonious with Times text fonts!
MTPro 2 blends well with various other text fonts beside Times, too.
That's why the choice of the text font is entirely left to the user;
this means that the default font remains CM, unless you change it explicitly.
murray wrote:2. I had to specify some option in the \usepackage[...]{mtpro2} in order to activate \mathbb. This was not obvious to me at first, as I took the descriptions of the options for \mathbb to mean simply what to change to in place of some default.
Should there be a default not requiring an option explicitly? Note that there IS a corresponding default for \mathcal!
This corresponds exactly with the behavior of "standard" LaTeX:
\mathbb is not declared by default, but \mathcal is.
murray wrote:Additional question: Should the default for \mathcal really be the Euler Calligraphic fonts? I'm not trying to assert here that something else should be, but asking why that was the design choice.
The default for \mathcal is CM Calligraphic, the same font as in standard LaTeX.