PCTeX Talk Forum Index PCTeX Talk
Discussions on TeX, LaTeX, fonts, and typesetting

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Symbols for "generated by"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PCTeX Talk Forum Index -> MathTime Pro II New Symbols
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cayley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Symbols for "generated by" Reply with quote

I often use the "less than" and "greater than" symbols for "the group generated by", as in
G = <a, b> or G = <a, b : ab = ba>
Of course, I enclose the each symbol in curly brackets so that the spacing is correct.

The problem is that the symbols are too pointy. I want the symbols for "generated by" to be steeper than the "less than" and "greater than" symbols. The two intervals should meet at a slightly obtuse angle, rather than at an acute angle.

Ideally, I would like these symbols in all appropriate sizes, because they can appear in subscripts and superscripts, and in larger-font headings.

They are really common symbols, yet I can't find them anywhere in the PCTeX fonts or the Maths Times Pro II fonts. Have I missed something? I am using my own macros written on Plain TeX.
Cayley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it! \langle and \rangle. And they are in the standard TeX fonts supplied with Plain TeX. Apologies for my incapacity to read the manual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PCTeX Talk Forum Index -> MathTime Pro II New Symbols All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: