Problems with Math Time Pro 2

MathTime Pro II fonts user discussion

Moderators: PTIForAdmin, Michael Spivak

pmarrone

Post by pmarrone »

Since I began using MikTex 2.5 I am unable to run papers written with Math Time Pro 2 fonts. I get an error message MikTeX problem report: unknown exception. And thereafter, invalid DVI file. What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks for any help you could offer me.
Pedro A. Marrone G.
Departamento de Matemática
Universidad de Panamá
PTIForAdmin

Re: Problems with Math Time Pro 2

Post by PTIForAdmin »

pmarrone wrote:Since I began using MikTex 2.5 I am unable to run papers written with Math Time Pro 2 fonts. I get an error message MikTeX problem report: unknown exception. And thereafter, invalid DVI file. What can I do to fix this problem?
Since the fonts work with most other TeX systems, it's probably best to report this to MiKTeX.org.
lotter

MikTex 2.5 and MTPro 2

Post by lotter »

A fair number of MikTeX 2.5 users have encountered similar problems: take a look at the thread:
http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3971844
The problem has been replicated and reported to the MikTeX people, but no solution has been forthcoming (at least as far as I know).

One thing you could try is using pdfTeX to produce PDFs in place of dvi files --- this produced (at least for me) perfect PDFs. This has the advantage of having the fonts embedded, so you can redistribute files to people who do not own the MTPro 2 fonts.

Personally, I found this particular error so annoying that it forced me to abandon MikTex 2.5.

Hope that helps,
Grant
pmarrone

Post by pmarrone »

To Lotter. Please let me know which TeX system instead of MikTeX you are using. I think we can't go back to 2.4.
Thanks.
I know that in pdf it works fine.
Thanks
To M. Spivak. I am reporting this problem to MikTeX organization.
Thanks
Pedro A. Marrone G.
Departamento de Matemática
Universidad de Panamá
lotter

Post by lotter »

pmarrone wrote:To Lotter. Please let me know which TeX system instead of MikTeX you are using. I think we can't go back to 2.4.
You can't go back automatically (and the main 2.4 repositories have been removed) but a few old sites containing MikTeX 2.4 can still be found --- try looking in the archive of comp.text.tex for some links to these sites (you are not alone in wanting to return to MikTeX 2.4!). You should realise though that 2.4 is no longer supported and you will, for instance, have to update packages manually.

I have been using:
(1) PCTeX, and
(2) W32TeX with dviout.

(1) PCTeX has a very nice integrated dvi viewer (and as you would expect the MTPro2 fonts work perfectly in it). PCTeX also has a package manager similar to that of MikTeX which can install missing packages on the fly. In other words the user experience is at least as pleasant/easy as that of MikTeX.

(2) W32TeX: http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/kakuto ... c75-e.html is a very up to date (daily builds often) version of TeX that includes support for XeTeX. A minimal selection of LaTeX packages is included, but you will have to install and update packages by hand. The configuration of W32TeX (and dviout) is straightforward but quite different to that of MikTeX --- expect to spend a little time playing about before things work.

HTH,
Grant
macjen9008

Post by macjen9008 »

pmarrone wrote:To Lotter. Please let me know which TeX system instead of MikTeX you are using. I think we can't go back to 2.4.
Thanks.
I know that in pdf it works fine.
Thanks
To M. Spivak. I am reporting this problem to MikTeX organization.
Thanks
Thanks for taking the time to report this to MikTeX. I have been having the same problem and have been looking for a solution. Hopefully the folks at MikTeX will be able to get it working.
Mac Jenkins
goldenrule.com