PCTeX Talk Forum Index PCTeX Talk
Discussions on TeX, LaTeX, fonts, and typesetting

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Subscripts look too large in $p_1p_2$

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PTIForAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Subscripts look too large in $p_1p_2$ Reply with quote

An MTPro2 user wrote:

Quote:
When I typeset $p_1p_2\ldots p_n$ the subscripts 1 and 2 look too large when placed next to the p. To compensate for this I use $p_{{}_1}p_{{}_2}\ldots p_n$ to use 2nd order subscripts (the n looks OK as a subscript). Is there a better way to do this?

Michael Spivak answered:

To get this effect use $p_{\scriptscriptstyle1} ... instead of $p_{{}_1}... so that the tiny 1 won't be so low (and don't do this with the n as you noted). However, I wouldn't agree that $p_1p_2 ... has 1 and 2 that are too large; it's just that 1 and 2 are large symbols---$p_H is much more of a problem!

In CM the problem is just as apparent, even more so, in fact. I believe if
you look in various math books you will see things like $p_1p_2$ that never bothered you before you became a type maven!
macjen9008

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nice to see this solution. I agree that the fonts are a bit too large. I am looking for a stylesheet that might have some of these options to tweak. If you come across a style that is already done, let me know so that I can download it. Thanks ahead of time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PCTeX Talk Forum Index -> MathTime Pro II All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: