File icons reset if v5 is removed after v6 is installed

PCTeX v6 beta tester input and discussion

Moderator: PTIForAdmin

Bruce.Filgate

File icons reset if v5 is removed after v6 is installed

Post by Bruce.Filgate »

Today I removed the v5 version of PCTeX from my computer, leaving v6. All of the .tex files that used to display the capital N in their icon, now display the Windows default (window-like with two dots). The .aux files are ok. I'm not sure whether there was a icon change for other files in the TeX directories as this was not something that I was testing for!

Bruce
PTIForAdmin

Re: File icons reset if v5 is removed after v6 is installed

Post by PTIForAdmin »

Bruce.Filgate wrote:Today I removed the v5 version of PCTeX from my computer, leaving v6. All of the .tex files that used to display the capital N in their icon, now display the Windows default (window-like with two dots). The .aux files are ok. I'm not sure whether there was a icon change for other files in the TeX directories as this was not something that I was testing for!
Bruce
Try changing the file association to PCTeX again and see if that restores the icon. To do this, in Windows Explorer right-click on the file and choose "Open with ...", and after choosing "pctexv6" check "Always use this propram to open these files" and then click OK.
TomK

Post by TomK »

Is PCTeX v5.1 still being updated from time to time? Every four weeks or so the program prompts me to check for updates, but when I do, I am informed that "No updates are needed"; is this neccessary? On 21-Jan-2007, for the first time since October 2005, a single file, ptispecial.dll, was replaced, though.
PTIForAdmin

Post by PTIForAdmin »

TomK wrote:Is PCTeX v5.1 still being updated from time to time?
No, we haven't updated v5 for the past year or so. Please ignore the update prompts.