Small problems

PCTeX v6 beta tester input and discussion

Moderator: PTIForAdmin

BEllickson

Small problems

Post by BEllickson »

Since the last upgrade I have been using V6 exclusively for my book (probably 6-8 hours per day), and it works well. The newest upgrade seems to typeset tex to dvi much faster (the last upgrade was a lot slower than v5, but I've been using v6 anyway since otherwise it is a big improvement on v5). However, I have noticed two small problems:

1. Every time I open PcTeX v6, it gives me an announcement that I have 30 days to register, even though I registered as soon as I updated to the new version last weekend. I tried registering, but no fresh new emails are sent from PcTeX. I inferred that I should just click "no" on the "do you want to register now," and that seems to work fine. But it is somewhat irritating, especially since I ended up doing this many times a day!

2. Slightly more significant: I just typeset a TeX file and inadvertently forgot to put a requested graphics file into the relevant directory. This put the typesetter into a funny state: i.e., instead of getting the error message "graphics file not found," it just stopped processing. Since I didn't know what was wrong, I moved "\end{document}" earlier, and this time I did get the "graphics file not found." I haven't yet figured out what confused the typesetter.
Bryan Ellickson
BEllickson

Post by BEllickson »

I can give more information about "small problem number 2." I conjected that part of the problem was another error in the prggram, so I went into v5
PCTeX and found it: I had an open \begin{eqnarray*} \end{eqnarray*}:
i.e., I had typed \begin{eqnarray* , leaving out the end }. I ffixed that and introduced the graphics files into the directory, and everything went fine. Then I went back into PcTeX v6, and again it worked fine.

Unfortunately for my role as a beta tester, I realize I should have gone back to v6 and run the program before putting in the graphics files. However, what I suggest is that you try running v6 with a missing graphics eps file and see if you run into a problem.
Bryan Ellickson
PTIForAdmin

Re: Small problems

Post by PTIForAdmin »

BEllickson wrote: Every time I open PcTeX v6, it gives me an announcement that I have 30 days to register, even though I registered as soon as I updated to the new version last weekend. I tried registering, but no fresh new emails are sent from PcTeX. I inferred that I should just click "no" on the "do you want to register now," and that seems to work fine. But it is somewhat irritating, especially since I ended up doing this many times a day!
We will look into this and clear it up for you. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the input.