small caps

For feedback and discussion for testers of the MathTime Professional II fonts.

Moderators: PTIForAdmin, WaS, Michael Spivak

jautschbach

small caps

Post by jautschbach »

Hello

I noticed some inconsistencies between Y&Y and MikTeX on WinXP when using the small caps font with \textsc{}. With Y&Y I get the correct Times SC font in the oouput but with MikTeX it seems like some fake small caps fonts are used. I'm not sure if this is related to mtpro2 or not. Some help would be greatly appreciated! (I have theTimes SC font installed).

I use

\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc} %% needed for YandY TeX
\usepackage{times}
\usepackage[subscriptcorrection,nofontinfo,mtpbbi]{mtpro2}
\usepackage{bm}

Jochen
murray

Re: small caps

Post by murray »

jautschbach wrote:Hello

I noticed some inconsistencies between Y&Y and MikTeX on WinXP when using the small caps font with \textsc{}. With Y&Y I get the correct Times SC font in the oouput but with MikTeX it seems like some fake small caps fonts are used. I'm not sure if this is related to mtpro2 or not. Some help would be greatly appreciated! (I have theTimes SC font installed).

I use

\usepackage{times}
\usepackage[subscriptcorrection,nofontinfo,mtpbbi]{mtpro2}
\usepackage{bm}

Jochen
I see a difference, too, at least when I print the output. (I don't really see the difference when I view with YAP, on the one hand, from MiKTeX or with DVIwindo, on the other hand, from Y&Y TeX.)

I presume the difference is that mtpro2 under MiKTeX is not using actual Adobe Times SC fonts.

I presume you changed the LY1 option to T1 for MiKTeX.

I also noticed you used \usepackage{times}, whereas the docs for mtpro2 show using instead \renewcommand{rmdefault}{ptm}. But I don't detect any difference in output.

Here's my little test document:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
%\usepackage[T1]{fontenc} %% for MiKTeX
%\usepackage{times}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
\usepackage[subscriptcorrection]{mtpro2}

\begin{document}
Start with normal text, then \textsc{Small Caps font text.} Now math:
\[
\int_0^{\pi} \sin \theta\,d\,\theta .
\]
\end{document}
murray

Post by murray »

But will this package now break Y&Y? There are issues of font naming and font encoding involved, which of course are handled differently by Y&Y vs. other TeX's.
zedler

Post by zedler »

But will this package now break Y&Y? There are issues of font naming and font encoding involved, which of course are handled differently by Y&Y vs.
You asked for a solution to use the Adobe Times SC fonts with Miktex/tetex. The ptms package won't run under Y&Y.

Michael
murray

Post by murray »

zedler wrote:
But will this package now break Y&Y? There are issues of font naming and font encoding involved, which of course are handled differently by Y&Y vs.
You asked for a solution to use the Adobe Times SC fonts with Miktex/tetex. The ptms package won't run under Y&Y.

Michael
I was concerned about renaming the fonts, as you said would be required.
jautschbach

Post by jautschbach »

zedler wrote:

Michael
Without small caps I get identical results with Y&Y and MikTeX from the same document when I use LY1 encoding. Isn't there some package option for times or mtpro2 to let the tex system know that Adobe Times SC fonts are installed?

Jochen