pfm's have non-distinctive names - cannot install via ATM

For feedback and discussion for testers of the MathTime Professional II fonts.

Moderators: PTIForAdmin, WaS, Michael Spivak

murray

pfm's have non-distinctive names - cannot install via ATM

Post by murray »

The internal names of the new fonts all seem to begin with, or consist of, "MathTime-Professional2" or "MathTimeProfessional2". Either the internal names are too long (over 31 characters) and so are identical in the first 31 characters, or else -- as seems to be the case with the ones I've examined -- have identical internal names. Hence the fonts still cannot be installed into Adobe Type Manager Deluxe (ver. 4.1).

The "internal name" of a font is what one sees at the top of the window displaying the font sample if you merely double-click the pfm in Windows itself.

In order to handle these fonts, the internal names have to be 31 characters or fewer, and have to be distinctive.

So I'm still at an impasse here.

(Note: Overly long names was an issue discussed in the TUG newsgroup that was dealing with the new Lucida font release, where I noted that Berthold Horn had made some private modifications of internal names in order to satisfy the 31-character limit.)
Michael Spivak

Post by Michael Spivak »

Oh, blaggh! MathTimeProfessional2 is the "Family Name" of all the fonts, while something like MT2BSYAT, to choose the longest example, is the "Full Name", as you can see by looking at any .pfa file made from one of the .pfb files. This seemed like a perfectly reasonable naming scheme to me, but unfortunately Adobe Type Manager (which I never use for
these fonts, since they are only for use with TeX) thinks of the "Family Name" as something like "Times", which can then have various versions, like roman, italic, bold, etc. (The 31 limit is irrelevant, since MathTimeProfessional2 has only 21 characters and all the others are at
most 8 characters long.)

I will have to go and change everything so that the "Family Name" is simply the "Full Name". This will take a little while.
murray

Post by murray »

Michael Spivak wrote:
I will have to go and change everything so that the "Family Name" is simply the "Full Name". This will take a little while.
OK. Just please communicate with me, at least temporarily, ONLY via this forum. The system folks in my department are in the process of moving the mail system to a new server, and for a good part of today I am unable to access any mail there.
Michael Spivak

Post by Michael Spivak »

In the upload area, which you supposed can access by clicking
https://secure.pctex.com/support/upload/
I have placed new mt2hbit.pfb and .pfm (also .tfm, although this is the same as the old one).

You might first check that you can install the font. Then you might try the following.

Make a file that says

\nopagenumbers
\font\foo=mt2hbit
\foo
\char0\kern10pt\char1\kern10pt\char2\kern10pt\char3\kern10pt
\bye

and run it through Y&Y TeX (plain TeX). I would like to know if things look OK, or if we are going to have BIG problems!

P.S. I stupidly sent an email to you by clicking on the email button, forgetting that this was outside of the forum, and into the email that you can't get.
murray

Post by murray »

Michael Spivak wrote:In the upload area, which you supposed can access by clicking
https://secure.pctex.com/support/upload/admin/
I have placed new mt2hbit.pfb and .pfm ....

P.S. I stupidly sent an email to you by clicking on the email button, forgetting that this was outside of the forum, and into the email that you can't get.
Actually, I don't have a password (or username?) that gives me access to that URL. The ones for this forum don't work for that.

But I got the files in your e-mail just now. The network wizards in my department finally got mail restarted after replacing the mail server today, so feel free to send e-mail directly again.

Murray